Thursday, July 24, 2008

lesson from a lady.

I recently came across this great autobiography piece by successful Canadian model, Stacey McKenzie...enjoy...

"When I first got into modeling in Paris, I did not have any money to buy the nice clothing I craved for, hell I lived in a studio apartment in the outskirts of Paris not knowng how I was going to pay rent and eat for the month.
I use to go to a place called Gerasol to shop for my clothing. Gerasols are broke down secondhand stores where you can get clothing for 10 francs ($1/2). I made the best with what I had. I always walked with my head held high in my $1″JPG printed dress” and my $1 “Sergio Rossi stilletos”, you would think I was Naomi when you saw me coming down the street!

Don’t get me wrong, I would feel bad at times that I couldnt get that beautiful NEW dress and shoes I saw on one of my window shopping trips in the Marais. I did not let it get to me because I did not want that to define me as a person. Unfortunately in this business it does and if you are not careful it can take over your life.

I remember when I went to my first agency dinner, the owner of the agency did not like me one bit because, of all things MY LOOK! I sat at that table OWNING my Gerasol dress and shoes having a great time. Not long afterward, the owner of the agency starts making fun of me. This man made fun of my looks, my voice and my clothing the entire night. I was really paining inside, but for some reason I continued smiling and having a good time..."

read the rest here

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lovin miss stacey;)

CPD said...

I went to high school with Stacey McKenzie, sort of. She was in Grade 12 when I was in Grade 9.

I didn't really know her, (age, plus it was a very racially tense school) but I always remember seeing her in the hallways going "man, that girl is tall."