Saturday, July 26, 2008

convo with a reader.


I am a 17 year old 5'9 to 5'10 male who is interested in persuring the world of high fashion. from photo shoots in Toronto, Ontario to fashion shows in Milan, Italy and even fashion week in New York City, Skinny Minnie...I want to do it all!. I've been told by alot of my friends that I should be modeling. I've even been told by people I dont know that I shoud be modeling. But I have a problem, I just dont know where to start. I was contacted my a modeling agency, Max Agencys for an interview after being randomly stopped on the street in Downtown Toronto by a talent scout. My parents forbid me to go and I felt like my Dream of modeling was coming to and end far to quickly. So my question for you is, What should I do now? Do you see potencial? and as far as pictures how should I be dressed?

from,
A young male looking for abit of guidance.



RESPONSE:

Max is bad, first of all...in toronto giovanni is one of the better ones, they won't screw you around and they are 100% high fashion. i model myself and i am not opposed to shooting with newer photogs...some of them are amazing, but look at their portfolio first and compare it to what you would see in a magazine to decide whether or not to shoot with them (save some $$ with newer photogs and students)...look for lighting and all that stuff in their photography.
as for what you should be wearing, men should have some underwear shots, as well as slim fitting suits (never hide your shape with loose clothing), and also go for a more high fashion edgy look if that is the market that interests you, high fashion male models are generally 5'11" and up, so assuming you're still growing its all good, otherwise you can always stick to a more commercial look.

But, whatever you do, stay away from max models, and don't pay $$ to an agency for anything. the only thing you should have to pay for is comp cards and enlargements (but enlargements i usually go through the photography)

good luck...perhaps join model mayhem to find photogs..but stay away from shitty photographers...they are a waste of time!!!!
------------------------

READERS' COMMENTS:

thank u 4 sending out the info :) we need to let peeps know that there r predators & scammers out there. One company that rips of peeps is NORTHERN STYLES & NATIVE TALENT & SMEX
given ya the heads up
-------------
This is a really good thing to know....there are a lot of young girls out there that end up losing a good amount of money because of these scam schools! It is important to be informed and educated about what is out there and for parents to especially be informed....good stuff!

1 comment:

CPD said...

A guy a worked with got approached by Max.
We called him "The Face" for weeks. It was priceless.